Monday, February 12, 2007

Just a couple quickies.


This is a great band from back in my metalhead daze. Scatterbrain with their 1st LP Here Comes Trouble. This band started out as a crossover (band that mixed punk and metal) band called Ludichrist that did the fastest version of "Last Train To Clarksville" I ever heard. And yes they hit every note too. The difference between Ludichrist and most other crossover bands was these guys could really play. And I mean play good, they were astounding. They made two LPs for the Combat imprint Combatcore called Immaculate Deception and Powertrip now both sadly out of print but fairly easily obtainable if you don't mind paying 20+ dollars for 'em. The band evolved out of the thrashy sound completely in 1989 and the whole band became Scatterbrain, a great 100% metal band. The singer Tommy Christ, while adept at the previous incarnations 400 mile an hour blastbeats, is an aquired taste as you can actually make out what he is saying most of the time and he sing-talks. But Glenn Cummings and Paul Neider, the two guitarists are absolutely amazing here. They do a classical instrumental called Sonata #3 that is amazing. But what brought this band what little fame they had was a little ditty called Down With the Ship that got very minor radio airplay and a goofy song called Don't Call Me Dude that had a hilarious video. But it was Down with the Ship that remains the showstopping aspect of the Scatterbrain legacy. Originally done by Ludichrist as a straightforward stop-start hardcore song, Scatterbrain really made it interesting by slowing it down, and in the aforementioned stop start spaces, added brief snippets of famous guitar licks (and other stuff), which according to all accounts the band reproduced live in concert. There are licks from Metallica, Van Halen, Deep Purple, and many more all sounding quite similar to the originals. But there is still more to enjoy from these jokers, every song is a fun ride through the warped lyrics of Tommy Christ usually with an unforgettable hook to go with them. All I can say is if you are adventerous, give it a try!!
And finally for Kit, here is a repost of the Kiss Destroyer Demos I posted a long while ago. These are extremely hard to find, and as I got them in a tape trade before the advent of internet, there is some hiss on this stuff. But the fact that Destroyer is my favorite Kiss studio album (even though it contains two songs I completely detest--Beth and Great Expectations) this is a nice insight into what the band had down before Bob Ezrin came in and shaped the tunes into world class material. There is one song that didn't make the cut, a Frehley song called None of Your Business, but the riff may sound familiar to you if you are a fan of the Destroyer album. If Ezrin would have done his magic on this song and used it instead of Great Expectations it would have been a brilliant move. If you want these you might want to grab them quick, they didn't last long the other time I posted them.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks for all the great uploads on this blog- I have managed to fill a lot of gaps in my collection since finding this site. I only discovered the site a few days ago and was hoping to download the rar file with the covers in but the link has expired on sendspace- would there be any chance of reposting it?
Many thanks
Steve

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 5:19:00 PM  
Blogger Time Traveller said...

Hi Steve, glad you like what we're doing here. What date was the cover rar posted or what albums did the covers belong to? I will try to help if at all possible.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This is a great band from back in my metalhead daze."

Hey Time Traveller !

I was really hoping that Wasted Youth's 1988 release Black Daze was also one of the great bands from back in your metalhead daze !! lol lol !

Any chance that you have it ? (wink,wink lol !)

... and of course, GREAT BLOG my friend ! The change-over to the harder side of music was a good move imo !

Thanks regardless TT !

Wasted Adult :)

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 12:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time Traveller
Thank you for your prompt reply. The rar covers file is mentioned on Jan 27 in the comments for the "Only the Beginning" section.

"bigfoot kit said...
Here is the link to a rar containing cover art for most of the albums included in this post.
Hope this is of use to you all.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fv0awg
Saturday, January 27, 2007 10:23:00 PM"
Hope this is of help.
Many thanks
Steve

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:24:00 AM  
Blogger Time Traveller said...

Hi Wasted Adult,

I saw Wasted Youth open for the Circle Jerks in 1986. Great band. I have the 6 six ep Get Out of My Yard for sure and I used to have Black Daze, but I'm not sure that I still do. But I will definetly check.


Steve,

The cover rar was posted by Kit, so hopefully he'll see this.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 6:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry anonymous, i was feeling extra efficient that night & managed to hunt down artwork for most of the stuff in Tor-Eriks first megapost.
When i saw the size of part 2, i just gave up on it, it was too daunting in scale.
I'm afraid i didn't keep a copy of the rar, but here's where i found most of the ones i posted in the rar.
http://www.cover-paradies.to/
This site is good too,
http://www.coverisland.net/copertine/down.asp
Hope this helps you track down the ones you need.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 7:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

Thanks for the reply TT - I appreciate you taking the 'Time' to do so - lol !

Never got to see the boys live, but I do own 'Get Out of My Yard' too. Gotta say, 'Black Daze' was my favourite release, hands-down.

After months of searching for this cd, all I could come up with, was ONE song. (It shines though !)

Wasted Youth - `Good Day For A Hanging'

I've uploaded it to Rapidshare.

Here's the link - if you want to give it a listen :

http://rapidshare.com/files/16518871/WY_-_GDFAH.rar.html

password :

liveandotherwise.blogspot.com

Hope you find this album under some dust in the back TT, in the meantime I hope you and the blog visitors will enjoy this small taste of a pretty-fine punk/metal band.

:) Wasted Adult

Thursday, February 15, 2007 12:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Time Traveller and Bigfoot Kit,
Thanks for your replies and help. I will check those sites for the covers.
Cheers
Steve

Friday, February 16, 2007 5:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the demos but it seems its only tracks 11-20 where are the first 10?

Friday, February 16, 2007 9:35:00 PM  
Blogger Time Traveller said...

There is no tracks 1-10. On my CD it is the album itself, and I have no intension of posting that here.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 1:44:00 PM  
Blogger Time Traveller said...

are no not is no. My brilliance in school comes through again!

Saturday, February 17, 2007 1:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for clearing that up...I was just wondering.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 7:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easily I to but I about the post should acquire more info then it has.

Sunday, December 27, 2009 8:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

need to take a look [url=http://tinyurl.com/7483021918]Sexy.[/url]

Can u be of help and a click i get 1 more

Friday, January 01, 2010 5:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

liveandotherwise.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this?

Saturday, March 13, 2010 11:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home